Thursday 10 April 2008

Regrets...

I wish I could go back in time and rethink my trip. I would scratch off Manchester and Newcastle for sure. I don't know why I went to all these industry towns. They are boring as..well...industry towns. I wanted to see England and the UK at it's finest! Not old mills and cranes building new high rise apartments in slums where the people would never be able to afford to live in them, thus having to move when the high risers make all the property around them increase and they can't even afford their dilapidated, wonky flats.

Edinburgh was like a breath of fresh air in my industry town tour. The Royal Mile is almost ALL 17th century, genuine buildings. Sure, there are gift shops everywhere, but that doesn't bother me. The city is gorgeous and I didn't want to leave. I could have walked around for days and days.

I reached into my wallet and pulled out a mean £38 to go on a day tour in the Highlands. It was partially worth it, although the Castle Stirling was about as interesting as all the other castles they've turned into War museums. The Scots really do love to fight. But the view of the mountains, the Lochs, the winding, tiny roads, and the beauty of what looks like a pristine and untouched Scotland was worth it. We took a boat cruise down Loch Lamond and the view of the mountains and of Mount Ben Lamond was stunning. It was the first time I had ever really seen a white capped mountain in real life and NOT from the air. In case you are wondering, a LOCH is the word for lake and it's not pronounced LOCK, but LOCCCHHHHSSFKLSJ....like Hebrew. You see that spelling? That's Hebrew.

The tour guide was a tiny, robust Scotsman who would talk endlessly about the lore and told the truth about William Wallace. Turns out the guy was 6'7", his sword alone was 5'7". And he would nae painted his face blue. That was the tribe called the Pects that tattooed themselves blue and fought bare ass naked. The Romans never DID conquer them, probably the sight of naked, blue men charging at you would make anyone a little skiddish. Also the words "blackmail", "Nightmare" and "Daylight Robbery" are all from Scotland. That was interesting. On the way back from the Loch Lamond, the entire bus joined in singing to the song The Ballad of Loch Lamond. I couldn't help myself and I sang quietly to myself while some English women went mad.

There was an American couple of the tour and they annoyed the hell out of me. American tourists tend to do that to me because I am so high and mighty now, you know. I mean, I'm a world traveler. Well, at least a European traveler and I have no problem with that. I don't think I am all that upset that I won't have the chance to go further into the mainland. Although I do with I had more time to spend in Paris. That is my regret. Paris would have been fantastic.

Now I am in Dublin, a bit stranded, hungry, and alone. Not unhappy, though. I think I am getting weary of traveling and I am excited to be back to London on Saturday and then come home soon after. I love it here and I have to come back, but the responsibilities back home seem to be piling up and it's affecting me over here. I can't just forget about things. I need to tend to them right away because I lack patience. Well, with myself at least. Well, this has cost me two Euros and I must be on my way. I am STARVING.


oh yeah...so where I would go.... Bath and Cornwall. Somewhere else too. Oh well, they'll still be there in two years. Hopefully.

No comments: