Saturday 5 April 2008

Manchester and Leeds

Manchester's sister city should be Minneapolis. Although they are nothing comparative in size, they are both industrial towns and reminded me of one another. Manchester had...a high street but all cities have high streets. All the beautiful, lovely cities of England are being destroyed by high street shops like Marks and Spencer, NU LOOK (although I do buy pants from there), BH, John Lewis, and whatever crappy departmental store that they can implant on the once historic high streets. But there was a good area for alternative shops. An actual arcade full of them. 3 floors of alternative shopping. I bought a pair of plugs that were, unfortunatly, too big. Looks like I am in for a summer of ear pain while I stretch them to fit. I spent £12! I can't lose that!

I met some German guys named Roman and Peter. We were in the same room at the Hostel. Sweet fellas. We ate indian food and drank together, but I had to leave in the morning to get train to Leeds...

LEEDS! Leeds was far more interesting than Manchester. Oh , I left out that Manchester had a boss art gallery called Urbis. Check it out online or something. I really don't care what you do.

SO LEEDS! I couldn't get ahold of my friend who would be hosting me so I spent the better part of the day looking or a hostel then realizing there are none in Leeds. Oh well. She did get ahold of me and I would take the train then bus to her village of Homfirth. I walked around Leeds with my massive, heavy bag and wasn't that interested in the art museum. I found a cheap place to eat which ended up being a gay bar. The fact that techo and Madonna was playing my entire meal (AND the song "It's Raining Men") and I was surrounded by gay people. There was a lesbian in the corner who would peer at me over her drink in a most unflattering way. As if she knew I wasn't gay. She could see right through me.

I went to a small villiage called Homfirth. That's where Rosie lives. She happen to live on top of a hill which was...lame, but absolutely beautiful. The view was of green fields, slate stone fences, horses, and old country houses, and the bluest sky I had seen in a while. It was windy and warm. Ah! It was heaven.

On the second night, we all went into center of Leeds for an art show of a friends ex. It was interesting enough. I had fun. I drank four glasses of wine within an hour and a half. That's a whole bottle of wine. MY GOD. Then afterwards we tried to dine and ditch, but that didn't happen. We just continued to drink. I had a good time being with friends I knew from school. It was nice to see familiar faces. Traveling can be very lonely and it was a releif. We all went back to Josh's house, drank more, fell asleep on the floor and woke up with a massive head ache. Also my throat decided not to work.

AH well. Leeds was fun. I'm not in the mood to write more. Fuck it.

No comments: